Tooth Extraction Near You
Ah, the infamous tooth extraction! While it may not be a favorite topic of conversation, it’s a dental procedure that sometimes becomes necessary. At Centre & 12th Dental, we’re here to make tooth extractions in Calgary as comfortable as possible for you.
Why Might I Need A Tooth Extraction?
- One common cause is severe tooth decay that cannot be saved with a filling or root canal treatment. This is a common reason to require a tooth removal near you.
- Another reason is gum disease, which can loosen the tooth from its socket. Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, may need extraction if they are impacted or causing crowding in your mouth.
- Sometimes, teeth need to be extracted to prepare for orthodontic treatment or if they pose a risk of infection due to a weakened immune system.
What is the Process for Tooth Removal?
- Before proceeding with the extraction, we will conduct a thorough examination of your teeth and oral health. X-rays may be taken to assess the tooth’s position, roots, and surrounding structures, helping us plan the extraction effectively.
- Prior to starting the procedure, we will administer local anesthesia to numb the area around the tooth to be extracted. This ensures you don’t feel any pain during the extraction process.
- In some cases, a small incision in the gums may be necessary to gain access to the tooth. This is common when the tooth is impacted, partially erupted, or if there is limited visibility of the tooth.
- Using specialized dental instruments, we gently and skillfully remove the tooth from its socket. We use techniques that minimize trauma to the surrounding tissues to promote faster healing.
- After the tooth has been extracted, in certain cases, we may need to place stitches to close the incision and promote proper healing. These stitches are typically self-dissolving and will dissolve over time.
What Will I Have To Do To Recover?
After the extraction, we’ll provide you with a gauze pad to bite down on gently. Apply steady pressure to the extraction site for about 30-45 minutes. This helps form a blood clot, which is crucial for the healing process. Here are some necessary steps to follow during the recovery process:
- No rinsing or spitting, it could dislodge the blood clot.
- Apply a cold compress outside of your cheek near the extraction site for 15-20 minutes.
- You can take over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen as directed.
- Stick to soft and cool foods for the first 24 hours.
- Avoid disturbing the empty tooth socket
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol
- Rest and avoid strenuous activities
Attend any follow-up appointments scheduled with us. This allows us to monitor your healing progress and address any concerns you may have. If you have any questions or experience any unusual symptoms during the recovery process, don’t hesitate to reach out to our dental clinic.
Think You May Need a Tooth Extraction Near You?
If you find yourself in need of a tooth extraction in Calgary or have any concerns about your oral health, don’t hesitate to schedule a consultation with us. We’re more than happy to answer any questions and provide you with the best possible dental care. Your comfort and smile are our top priorities!